Our Unicorn Play Dough is a fun and easy project, especially if you like unicorns and glitter.
If you’re looking for a fun project for a rainy day or snow day, making projects with your kids is so much fun! I love a day when my son asks me if we can paint, make stuff using Perler Beads or draw. It makes my heart happy that’s for sure.
We love kids DIY projects like sand dough, Rainbow Slime and play dough. But I think I love play dough so much more. It’s less messy and just as fun. You can add different colors, glitter and even scents. Plus all the ingredients are probably in your cabinet already.
I love the different themes you can make as well as just a simple color play dough like rainbow, a holiday play dough or our Unicorn Play Dough.
How to make our Unicorn Play Dough:
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- Gel Food Coloring
- Extra Fine Glitter
- In a small pot, combine your flour, water, salt, cream of tartar, vegetable oil and a tiny drop of food coloring.
- Mix your ingredients until combined.
- Heat stovetop on medium heat, stirring continuously until your ingredients starts to form into a play dough consistency (takes about 1-2 minutes).
- When your dough is no longer sticky, carefully remove the dough (it will be hot).
- Rinse your pot and repeat steps 1-4 twice using a different color food coloring.
- Form your dough into balls, press the middle down and add glitter to each color play dough.
- Now you can play with your play dough.
Once I learned how easy it was to make homemade play dough I was super excited. It only takes a few minutes and is a whole lot of fun.
You might also like our colorful desserts:
Colorful Unicorn Cake Donuts – Make our Unicorn Cake Donuts and never buy another cake donut again when you see how fun and easy they are.
Rainbow Rice Krispie Treats – You’ll want to try our Rainbow Rice Krispie Treats for an ultra satisfying dessert.
Eggless Rainbow Sugar Cookie Dough – This eggless rainbow sugar cookie dough is the perfect no bake sweet treat!
*Do not eat, for playing purposes only. Lasts 2 weeks in an airtight container.
Unicorn Play Dough
Thank you for the recipe. The dough worked great and I love the glitter. One question I do have is why is there such a strong smell? Is it the Cream of Tartar or the food coloring? It’s a really bad smell. I ended up adding a bunch of drops of essential oil to it because I couldn’t stand the smell.. it made it a bit better. I still left a 5 star review because it really is great and if it’s something I did to make the smell bad, I just want to know 🙂
It just smells like actual play doh when I make it, the only thing I’m thinking is maybe it was burnt while cooking? It heats up super fast. Adding essential oil is a great idea!