It’s Friday and it’s finally time to reveal how to make these adorable snowman porch decorations.
If you’ve visited my post earlier this week, you saw how I showed you an amazing product I use for all of my holiday decorations, indoor and out! Now it’s time to show you how to make some of these easy holiday decorations.
My outdoor porch posts are made of wood and measure 5.5″ x 5″ and are painted white. I figured their blank pallet was perfect to create holiday porch decorations. So you’ll need to grab a few materials before we get started. You may need to adjust a few of the dimensions depending on the size and shape of your porch posts.
How to Make Porch Decorations
Materials to make 2 snowman porch decorations:
- 1-2 sheets of scrap paper
- 2 pieces of red fleece (5″ x 60″) for a scarf
*I usually buy inexpensive fleece blankets, they measure about 50″ x 60″ and are perfect for this project.
- 2 pieces of green fleece (4″ x 36″) for the hat brim
- 4 small pieces of any color fleece (2″ x 30″) to tie the hat onto the post
- cardboard box
- black trash bag
- utility knife
- staple gun with 1/4″ staples
- duct tape
*I used masking tape, but it began to come off in the weather, therefore use duct tape.
- black vinyl
- orange vinyl
- 2″ circle punch
- Cut out 6, 2″ circles out of the black vinyl with the circle punch. These are the buttons.
- Cut 12 smaller circles (using scissors/freehand) 1″ in diameter for the eyes and mouth out of black vinyl.
- Use the orange vinyl to cut 2 carrot noses, about 4″ in length.
- Draw a hat pattern onto another piece of scrap paper. My paper hat was around 6″ tall x 10.5″ wide. Cut out the pattern and trace it onto the box cardboard. Cut it out with a utility knife. Cut a large piece of black trash bag and wrap the entire hat with the bag and secure with duct tape. It works best to pleat and secure the round corners with duct tape in order to keep the shape.
- Cut a piece of scrap paper 3″ x 11″. This is the pattern for the brim of your hat. Trace the pattern onto a cardboard box. Cut 2 rectangles with a utility knife. Cut a piece of black trash bag large enough to cover the entire rectangle. Wrap the rectangle with the trash bag and secure with duct tape. Repeat with the other brim.
- Lay your hat on the table and use a staple gun to staple 2 small strips of fleece onto the back of the brim. Staple the hat to the brim with staples.
- To assemble your snowman, slide the green felt onto hat, between the brim and the hat, and tie it around the porch post. Tie the red fleece from the brim of the hat around the post.
- Tie the scarf around the porch post.
- Add the eyes, nose, mouth and buttons to the porch post.
You’ll also want to make our adorable snowman ornaments to coordinate with your outdoor snowmen!
And try these other amazing holiday craft projects to spice up your home decor!
How did you stick the eyes, buttons, etc on the post? Does Cricut cling stay put through the weather? Thanks.