This 10 minute tutorial on how to make a bendable elf on the shelf is a life changer!
Every elf owner knows there are two things that really stink about owning elf on the shelf: 1) forgetting to move that little bugger. That’s probably the worst part of elf-ownership, because the reminder usually pops into your head just as you’ve crawled into bed, in the middle of the night, or first thing in the morning when you scramble to move that little guy or gal before the kids wake up.
The 2nd horrible thing about owning an elf on the shelf is the inability to pose him so he can do amazing things! I’m actually not sure why Elf 2.0 hasn’t surfaced on store shelves with a posable body!?
I’ve found an easy solution to making a bendable elf on the shelf! You’ll need to grab a few materials and make sure the kids are in bed before you tackle this project!
How to Make a Bendable Elf on the Shelf
- Seam Ripper
- 18 Gauge Wire
- Diagonal Cutters
- Jewelry Pliers
- Red & White Thread to match the elf
- Using a seam ripper, remove the threads from the hands and feet of your elf. You’ll need to remove about 3 stitches.
- Using diagonal cutters, cut a piece of wire 1/2″ longer than the leg of your elf. Use the jewelry pliers to make a round loop at each end of the wire. Slide the wire into the leg of the elf. Repeat for the other leg.
- Using diagonal cutters, cut a piece of wire 1/2″ longer than the arm of the elf. Use the jewelry pliers to make a round loop at each end of the wire. Slide the wire into the arm of the elf. Repeat for the other arm.
- Use a needle and thread to stitch the openings closed.
- Pose your bendable elf on the shelf by bending the wire inside of the arms and legs!
Now what will you do with this fantastic bendable elf? We have some fun ideas!
- Housekeeping Elf on the Shelf – to keep the kids helping out this holiday season!
- Elf on the Shelf Igloo – a fun winter home for you friendly elf!
- Elf on the Shelf Troll Wig – Adorn your elf with a fun Trolls Inspired wig!