Using scrap 2x4s, you can make these simple and fun patriotic decorations for your home decor.
Memorial Day and the 4th of July are such fun holidays because almost everyone participates. Whether it's for a parade or fire works, or wearing red, white and blue, people come together to celebrate America. Plus, I'm a seasonal junkie, and I love seeing all of the patriotic items in the store: food, clothing and home decor.
If you have any scrap pieces of 2x4s laying around, you're going to need to make some patriotic decorations for your home. This is such an easy project some older kids can certainly help if you are looking to spend some quality time with kids.
How to make Patriotic Decorations with Scrap Wood
- scrap pieces of 2x4s (mine measure 6", 9" and 11.5")
- sand paper or sanding block
- acrylic paint in red, white and blue (I used Waverly semi-gloss acrylic paint in crimson, plaster and ocean)
- woods stars
- jute twine
- 1-½" wood U, S, A letters (If you've made our USA Flip Flop Sign, you can use the letters left over from the ones you purchased.)
- hot glue
- paint brush
- Protect your surface before you paint. I like to use wax paper to cover my surface.
- Gently sand each piece of wood with sand paper or a sanding block. This helps remove any rough edges and creates a clean surface for painting. Lightly wipe off any sanding dust.
- Paint each piece of wood a different color, red, white and blue. Make sure you let your paint dry completely before applying a second coat of paint.
- Paint 7 wood stars white. Paint 2 wood stars red and 2 wood stars blue. Let dry completely before adding a second coat.
- Paint the U S A wood letters blue, drying completely before applying the second coat of paint.
- Once all of your items are dry, you can assemble your patriotic decorations.
- For the dark blue wood, wrap jute twine around the top of the wood. I wrapped about 5-6 times, secured with a knot and trimmed the excess. Lay your white stars on the blue block and affix with hot glue.
- For the red block, glue a large blue and small red star together. Wrap jute twine around the wood about 6 times, secure with a double knot and trim the excess string. Attach stars to the wood with hot glue.
- For the white block, add USA and 1 red star using hot glue.
- Display your patriotic decorations in your home for Memorial Day and the 4th of July, or give them as a gift to a friend, family member or neighbor.
Try some of our other patriotic decorations for your home:
- Patriotic Table Decor - Easy Fabric Wrapped Balls
- Flip Flop Welcome Sign for Your Front Door
- Patriotic Cutlery Holders for Tablescapes