Winter is a great time to feed the birds! This Snowman Birdhouse is the perfect accessory to your winter trees.
In the winter months in Michigan, my kids and I like to feed the birds. It’s always fun to see a red cardinal or bluejay in the snow. Plus, all the leaves are off of the trees, so you can really see the birds when you hang a feeder in the tree to feed them. We even have a little red headed wood pecker that we see from time to time on our feeders.
This snowman birdhouse is so easy to make, and it uses old cartons of milk and half and half containers. Not to mention it’s a super cute seasonal decor for your bare winter trees. Make some extras and give them as gifts around the holidays for grand parents, teachers or even your neighbor!
How to Make a Snowman Birdhouse Crafts for Kids
- Old Dairy Cartons – rinsed and dry
- White Spray Paint
- Black Foam Sheets
- Orange Foam Sheets
- Blue Fleece – I like to buy inexpensive fleece blankets at the store. Usually they are $2-3 and I use them for craft projects.
- Hot Glue
- Bird Seed
- Utility Knife
- With the help of an adult, use a utility knife to cut four sides out of an empty carton, making sure you leave enough space at the top to place a hat, scarf and face of a snowman.
- Paint your carton with white spray paint. I used a very inexpensive spray paint and put about four coats on it to cover the lettering! If you pick a high quality spray paint like this one, you may only need about two coats.
- *Before cutting any fleece or fabric for the hat or scarf, make sure it fits around your carton. Cut a piece of fleece for the hat: 11″ x 10″. Fold the fleece along the 11″ edge up twice so you have a hat brim. Wrap the hat around the carton and secure it with hot glue. Cut a 10″ x 1″ piece of fleece. Tie it around the top of the hat and secure with a knot. Trim the hat if desired and tie the loose ends of the string together in a knot to hang the bird feeder.
- Cut a piece of fleece 2″ x 20″ long for the scarf. Fold the fleece in thirds and tie around the carton. Birds don’t like things hitting them in the face when they eat so make sure you secure the scarf to the carton with hot glue.
- Cut out small eyes and mouth pieces with black foam and an orange carrot with orange foam. Attach with hot glue.
- Fill your Snowman Birdhouse with food and watch the birds flock to it!
Try some of our other fun crafts!