Mason jar ornaments are easy to make and each one is unique with an upcycled Holiday broach.
In August there's a local church that has a huge rummage sale fund raiser. You are given a brown paper grocery bag that costs you $5. Any and everything you can fit inside is $5 total! I can assure you I've become an expert packer and utilize my brown bag to get the most items I can for only five bucks! This past year I grabbed these Christmas broaches and I knew I had to do something fun with them. Mason jar ornaments are absolutely perfect for these pins!
How to Make Mason Jar Ornaments
- regular (small mouth) mason jar lids and bands
- small pieces of fabric
- hot glue and hot glue gun
- poly-fil or similar stuffing
- Trace a mason jar lid onto a piece of cardboard and cut out. Make sure the cardboard piece fits inside of the mason jar band. Cut if necessary to fit.
- Lay your fabric, wrong side up, onto a flat surface. Place a mason jar band onto the fabric and draw a circle, 1" wider than the band, on the fabric. Cut with scissors.
- Place a small amount of polyfil onto the center of the fabric. Place the jar lid on top of the polyfil and place it into the mason jar band. Adjust the fabric as necessary by gently pulling to remove any wrinkles. Attach the fabric with hot glue.
- Place the cardboard round into the back of the mason jar band to cover the fabric. Affix with hot glue. Add additional hot glue around the seam of the cardboard and jar to hold the fabric in place.
- Add your upcycled broach to the front of the ornament by pinning it through the fabric.
- Cut a long piece of ribbon and tie it around the jar band and then add a slip knot to create a hanging loop.
- Tie a small bow and attach it to the mason jar band with hot glue.
Not only do these make great ornaments and decorations, they would be a great way to gift a gorgeous holiday broach! Simply omit the hanging loop and place the ring and pin into a nice jewelry box.
Want some other fun ornament ideas? Try these!
- Snowman Ornaments are easy to make and will bring a smile to your face!
- Yarn Ball Ornaments are no sew projects you can easily make in one afternoon.
- Snowflake Earrings are a great gift to give! And you can tuck them into these mason jar ornaments in place of the broach!