Slice and bake American Flag Sugar Cookies are easier than traditional cut-out sugar cookies!
Ahhhh Memorial Day…the perfect symbol of the “start” of summer in my neck of the woods. And the 4th of July is the perfect symbol for the middle of summer! Both are great times to bake up a batch of these fun and easy American Flag Sugar Cookies!
Memorial Day weekend is usually spent at home with my family working on getting things ready for summer! Hauling out the patio furniture, digging bikes out from the garage and dusting them off, and washing and waxing the cars. This day of work is often followed by a dinner of grilled hamburgers and corn on the cob. I splurge at times and grab steak and usually throw in a bag of potato chips, which is a delicacy at our house. I don’t buy chips often because we all just gorge on them!
When the 4th of July comes around, I can assure you there is more red meat on the grill and fireworks! Not to mention a day off of work where the entire family is home! It’s just a great day to enjoy celebrating America’s Birthday! Which is also a perfect time to make these American Flag Sugar Cookies! We all seem to have our own favorite sugar cookie recipe, and this one is mine. You’re more than welcome to use your own and follow my instructions on how to make the flag shape.
American Flag Sugar Cookies
Aside from the normal sugar cookie ingredients in the recipe below, you’ll want to grab:
I think these 2 colors create the best American red and blue colored cookie dough.
2 cups white sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
Blue and Red Food Coloring
To Make the Cookies
- Cream butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes until fluffy with a mixer.
- Add in eggs, sour cream and vanilla and beat well.
- Mix flour and baking soda together and pour half of mixture into the mixer and beat until combined. Add remaining flour and beat until combined.
- Divide dough into thirds. Make one portion of dough smaller than the rest. This is the blue dough. Return the dough to the mixing bowl and add blue food coloring. Beat until color is distributed evenly. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Rinse the mixing bowl and add another batch of dough and red food coloring. Beat until color is distributed evenly. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Wrap the remaining uncolored dough in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate all dough for 1 hour.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and unwrap the blue dough. Shape into a large rectangle. My rectangle was about 10" long. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Unwrap the red dough. Remove 1/3 of the dough and shape into a thick rectangle. Place on a piece of plastic wrap and fold the wrap over the dough so it's covered on both sides. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough to about 1/4" thick. Gently shape the ends to make them square and make the dough about the same size as the blue rectangle. Repeat with the uncolored dough.
- Divide the remaining red dough in half and shape it into a large rectangle and place it on plastic wrap. Fold the plastic wrap in half and use a rolling pin to shape the dough into a 1/4" rectangle that is the same width as 2 blue rectangles. Repeat so you have two red strips.
- Do the same with the uncolored dough. (Now, you'll probably have left over dough, and that's okay, just shape into a rectangle, slice and bake and enjoy with a cup of coffee)
Assemble the Dough
- Place the blue dough on a large piece of plastic wrap. Place smaller red rectangle right next to the blue. Press the two together gently to remove any gaps.
- Place the small uncolored dough onto the red and press together to remove any gaps. The red and uncolored dough should be about the same size as the blue rectangle.
- Place one of the large red pieces of dough onto the top of the dough. Gently press to firmly hold together. Repeat with the white and follow with the remaining red dough.
- Continue to shape the dough into a large rectangle. Wrap firmly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
To Bake Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and unwrap. Use a sharp knife to slice the dough into 1/4" slices. Trim the ends of the dough if necessary. Place cookie onto prepared pan and bake for 6-7 minutes or until the cookies begin to brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes. Move to a cooling rack and until cooled completely.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to eat.
Check out some of our other fun patriotic recipes: