Penguin cork ornaments are a great way to add winter fun to your holiday decor!
If you're a wine lover like I am, you might have a handful of corks you aren't sure what to do with! I always toss my corks into a large glass bowl with hopes of one day doing something with them. This year, I decided it was time to make penguin cork ornaments for the Christmas tree!
Once I started making one penguin, I swear they just began to multiply! They are so cute and easy to make that I just couldn't stop! I grabbed every color fleece I had and made cork ornament in every color!
If you don't have any corks, you can always buy them. I use natural corks, so I'm not sure how a synthetic cork will work in this application. If you are intimidated in painting on such a small item, I have just the trick! The perfect brush! I always use this #6 round brush and it makes beautiful fine lines. It's perfect for this cork ornament project!
How to Make Penguin Cork Ornaments
- all natural corks
- white acrylic paint
- black acrylic paint
- paint brush
- small screw eyes
- black and orange permanent marker
- scrap pieces of fleece or fabric
- hot glue & hot glue gun
- baker's twine or yarn for hanging
- Check over your corks and make sure they aren't broken or have a giant hole in one end. Paint your corks with a 1" wide strip of white acrylic paint. I like to use a premium acrylic paint in a semi-gloss finish. It seems to coat and cover well. Let dry.
- Use your round paint brush to create a heart-like shape onto the front of the white strip. Paint the remaining cork black and let dry.
- Cut a piece of fleece or fabric ¼" x 6" in length. Wrap around the penguin and knot it. Fold the top piece over the knot and secure it with hot glue. Trim the ends of the scarf.
- Use a black permanent marker to draw eyes onto your penguin and an orange beak.
- Screw a screw eye into the top of the cork. Use baker's twine or yarn and thread it through the screw eye to hang.
Need some other ornament ideas? Check out some of these tutorials!
- Snowman Ornament Craft is affordable and easy to make with the kids!
- Yarn Ball Ornaments are no sew ornaments that use recycled bottle caps!
- Mason Jar Ornaments upcycle old broaches to make this unique ornament!