This Cheesy Zucchini Rice Recipe is delicious and perfect for fall!
It’s almost mid October and the leaves are finally starting to fall. With the days being cooler and the nights even colder, we’ve finally turned on our pellet stove in the evenings and I can snuggle under my favorite Woolrich throw after I tuck the kiddos safely into bed.
Once the cooler air hits, I love nothing more than delicious home cooked meals and I often crave comfort food that typically involves some sort of melted cheesy goodness and rice. Always rice. Always Cheese. We always have rice in the pantry because I buy it in bulk and I almost always have a big ole’ yummy block of cheddar cheese sitting in the fridge calling my name. Being that I am a super busy mom though, I need recipes that don’t require a long time to make so I can get on with other things, like running the kids to hockey, dance and figure skating or heck, getting myself to the gym for some ME time.
This recipe makes a lot and is the perfect meatless meal, side dish and even better heated up the next day. Working from home, I am often the one that eats most of the leftovers in our house so I love that it makes enough to last me several days.
- 2 C. long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 C. zucchini, shredded & patted dry
- 2 C. chicken broth
- 2 C. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 oz can of cream of chicken soup
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring the 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil and add in the long grain grain rice. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes until cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, shred the zucchini and pat dry using paper towels to remove the excess moisture.
- Once the rice is cooked through combine it with the shredded zucchini, shredded cheese, cream of chicken soup and salt & pepper and a dutch oven or 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake covered for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir. Let cool for a few minutes prior to serving.