This broccoli cheese casserole is delicious and makes a great freezer meal!
With school starting soon (1 week, but who is counting) I’m already scouring Pinterest for easy weeknight meals. Our schedules will soon be full with after school activities and I will be running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Hockey 2-3 nights a week, dance 1 night a week, soccer 2 nights a week and who knows what else. I may need some extra wine on the side by the time we sit down for dinner. This is why I am always on the look out for quick and easy weeknight meals. I also love making extra and freezing, that way, I can pull from the freezer, heat and go.
This delicious broccoli cheese casserole is what easy, meatless meals are made of. I like to make 2-3 batches at a time and freeze the extra in large freezer bags. I can pull a bag from the freezer and reheat in my dutch oven for a homemade meal without hitting the drive through. I can also reheat the casserole on low in the slow cooker for several hours while we are out and about. I like to serve the broccoli cheese casserole with a side salad, fresh bread and butter ,or garlic bread. You can add cooked chicken to the casserole if you would like.
- 2 C. long grain rice
- 2 C. chicken broth
- 1 C. broccoli florets
- 1 C. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 10 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 10 oz can of milk
- ½ C. onion, diced (optional)
- 2 tbs butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring the 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil and add in the 2 cups of uncooked long grain rice.
- Turn the heat down to low/medium and allow the rice to simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the broccoli florets in a microwave safe dish and add 1" of water. Place in the microwave and heat for about 3 minutes (or until tender). Remove from the microwave and set aside.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of butter and diced onion in a medium skillet. Saute the onion until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Combine the cooked rice, broccoli, cream of chicken soup, milk, onion and salt & pepper in a large casserole dish or dutch oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
You will also want to make: