According to Poppy, Cupcakes and Rainbows are the perfect combination! These troll cupcakes are just that!
It’s true. My house is a teeny-tiny bit obsessed with the Dreamworks Trolls movie. I took the kids to see the movie shortly after it hit theaters and the singing and dancing and fun rainbow colors just made me squeal with joy! All of the fun Trolls toys in the stores also make me giddy. I love looking at them with my daughter and pointing out the sparkle guy and rainbow twins.
With all the troll rage, I had to make some fun cupcakes to share with my family. While these look quite amazing, please note they need to be consumed quite quickly. In fact, depending on the humidity and temperature in your house, the cotton candy will quickly begin to crystallize and disappear. But I can assure you, they will also be consumed very fast! As the first thing the kids tend to eat is the hair!
If you’re looking to serve these at a party, I’d suggest assembling them just before serving. Have the cupcakes, frosting and cotton candy ready to put together while the party is happening. Not ideal, but you’ll be happy you did. And I’m sure once the party starts you’ll have a few adult hands that will be more than willing to help you out.
Note: You don’t have to put cupcakes in the cones. You can simply stuff the cones with cotton candy to make the trolls.
How to Make Troll Cupcakes
Head to the store and find these few ingredients before you tackle this fun recipe!
- 1 box cake mix and all the ingredients to make the cake
- 1 tub prepared frosting
- Joy Color Ice Cream Cones (I like to grab at least 2 packages in case any cones are broken)
- Wilton Candy Melts in pink, blue and lavender
- Wilton Candy Eyes
- Jelly Beans (I used Sweet Tart Jelly Beans)
- Wilton Sparkle Gel in Black
- Cotton Candy (I grabbed 2 tubs just in case!)
You’ll need a few kitchen tools as well:
- Disposable plastic gloves
- Cutting Board
- Small seal-able sandwich bags
- Mix cupcakes according to the package directions and bake them in the ice cream cones as directed on the side of the box of the ice cream cones or here. Cool completely.
- Use a cutting board and knife to cut the candy melts in half. You’ll need 1 melt per cone.
- Working with one color at a time, place 15 candy melts in the corner of a seal-able bag and microwave for 10 seconds. Knead and continue to microwave in 10 second increments until the candy is melted.
- Snip the end of the bag and pipe the candy melts onto the cone, on the sides to affix the ears, front to affix the eyes and the nose. Set aside to harden.
- Repeat with remaining colors of candy melts and cones.
- When ready to serve, frost cupcakes with icing.
- Use disposable gloves when handling cotton candy. It’s quite sticky! Add cotton candy to the frosting on the cupcake to create hair.
- Use black color gel to add a smile face onto the trolls.