Strawberry Lemon Muffins combine fresh strawberries and lemon zest for a delicious grab and go breakfast or a quick snack!
Growing up on a strawberry farm I had NO idea how much I would appreciate it later in life. Being a farm kid wasn’t easy. Well, I didn’t think it was. We lived really rural and out of town so I never had a lot of friends over and being the youngest ‘oops’ baby also made me almost a only child. On the flip side, I was the only child (yay!!) and I got to eat my weight in delicious fresh Michigan strawberries.
During the summer months we’d be out in the field starting around 7 am which for a kid wasn’t fun but I always did as I was told. My grandmother helped us pick berries and she was my rock out there. I’d grab an empty flat and plop myself in a good row and get to work. The trick was to pick with both hands to get as many berries as you could all at once. Yes, I’m a berry picking expert.
Now that my parents have retired from farming, I miss it. A lot. During the summer months, I always hunt down local berry patches to take the kids and yes, I’m that mom who says, ‘this is what I used to do when I was your age kids!’ They love it though because it’s a novelty to them and they also get to eat their weight in fresh ripe strawberries.
This strawberry lemon muffin recipe combines two things I love: fresh ripe strawberries and lemon. They are perfect for spring or summer and simply remind me of growing up in a strawberry in rural Northern Michigan.
Strawberry Lemon Muffins Recipe
- 2 C. flour
- 1 C. sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 C. milk or half and half
- ⅓ C. vegetable oil (you could also substitute applesauce)
- 1 C. fresh strawberries, diced
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12 count muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Combine the sugar, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest and milk.
- Fold in the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add in the fresh strawberries and fill each muffin cup about ¾ full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
You will also want to try our:
- Hearty Banana Breakfast Muffins
- Banana Mocha Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Homemade Chocolate Cosmic Cupcakes