Chocolate chip lemon zucchini cake is the perfect way to use up extra garden fresh zucchini!
With summer finally coming to an end and my kids going back to school in a week, I find myself trying to savor each and every moment of summer that I can. I can’t believe it’s been almost three months since school let out for summer! It feels like just yesterday summer break started and the beach days began.
Before school ended, every second grader received a packet of radish seeds. My son was elated and wanted to plant them immediately. My husband gave him a small plot on the side of our property and my son got to work planting the tiny seeds. He watered them everyday and excitedly asked when they would grow. Even though I grew up on a farm, I didn’t get much of my father’s green thumb. I love the idea of attempting a garden but every time I’ve tried, nothing seems to take. I guess it takes more practice on my end.
My son’s radishes started to grow and he was elated. He checked them daily and I was really happy for him. I on the other hand was really happy to take part in an open market program at a local organic farm. It is our second year participating and it’s wonderful! It does seem to cost more up front but in the end I know the benefits out weigh the cost and we are actually saving money by not making multiple produce purchases several times a week. I feel like we use more of the fresh produce and waste less because their are no impulse purchases happening.
Every week I grab zucchini and squash. They are two of my favorite summer veggies and they can be eaten and prepared many different ways. I love using extra summer squash in our baked goods. My kids LOVE zucchini muffins, breads, pancakes, you name it! I love that you can’t tell they have hidden veggies making them ‘good’ for you.
After grabbing some extra zucchini last week I felt like making cake. My husband adores marble cake but I didn’t have that flavor on hand. I did have some lemon cake mix and chocolate chips so I decided to whip together a chocolate chip zucchini lemon cake using the mix I had on hand.
Chocolate Chip Lemon Zucchini Cake
- 1 box of lemon cake mix, any brand
- 1 C. shredded zucchini
- 1/2 C. vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 C. chocolate chips + plus a few extra to sprinkle on top prior to baking
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine the lemon cake mix with the vegetable oil, shredded zucchini, cinnamon, vanilla extract and eggs.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and sprinkle the extra chocolate chips on top of the cake.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick around 25 minutes, if it comes out dry the cake is done.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let cool and enjoy.
You will also want to make:
- Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting – So decadent and easy to make. Your friends and family will have NO idea they have zucchini in them!
- Zucchini Pie Recipe – Perfect for meatless Monday or a lovely weekend brunch!
- Easy Cheesy Zucchini Rice Recipe – Need a delicious meatless dish or a yummy cheese side dish? This cheese zucchini rice is perfect for both!
- Homemade Chocolate Zucchini Cake – This zucchini cake is fudgy and absolutely delicious!
- Zucchini Pizza – You’ve heard of cauliflower crust but have you tried zucchini crust yet? If not, it’s a must try!