If you love April the Giraffe and her new little baby you’ll love our April the Giraffe Inspired Paper Plate Craft.
A few years back when we vacationed in Florida we went to the Tampa Bay Zoo. I’ve been to many zoos in my life but have never been to one that had giraffes, maybe because here in Michigan it gets a little chilly to home giraffes. The giraffes had such a big open area to roam (which I’m all for) but they loved coming up to the elevated deck where people could feed them large lettuce leaves. I was a little scared of their long giant tongues but my son was all about it. It was an experience I’ll never forget.
So I like many of you have been following April the giraffe via their web cam. After several weeks I was starting to think this whole thing was a prank but she gave birch to a beautiful baby boy. It is so amazing to be able to watch them on their web cam. That’s when I became inspired to make a cute little April the giraffe craft that kids can make. So this craft would be a great one to make if you love giraffes as much as me.
How to make our April the Giraffe Inspired Paper Plate Craft:
- small paper plates
- brown pipe cleaners
- black pom pom balls
- yellow and brown craft paint
- white and brown card stock
- goodly eyes
- hole puncher
- elmer’s glue
- small flat head paint brush
- black permanent marker
- Lay out an old newspaper or some scrap paper before you get started.
- Cut out two small ears from your white card stock.
- Use your paint brush and yellow paint to paint your plate and ears yellow and let dry.
- Cut out a half circle from your brown card stock the side of half your plate and round the edges with scissors.
- Glue your yellow years to the top sides of your yellow plate and the brown oval to the bottom of your plate.
- Glue your googly eyes above the brown oval.
- Use your small flat head paint brush to paint brown dots onto the giraffe’s face and ears.
- Use your permanent marker to draw two dots onto the brown oval mouth.
- Use a hole puncher to punch out to holes onto the top of the plate between the ears.
- Cut one pipe cleaner in half, fold each half together separately, and twist each half leaving a loop at the top.
- Place the straight end of each pipe cleaner through the holes your punches and twist the ends together.
- Glue a pom pom to the top of each loop and let your giraffe dry.
If you love our April the Giraffe Inspired Paper Plate Craft, let us know in the comment section below!
You might also like our: