Do you or your kids enjoy getting snail mail? Then you will love our Easy Wacky Melon Pen Pal craft! They are sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face.
Growing up I had a few pen pals and loved getting the letters, pictures and stickers in the mail. I remember running to the mailbox after school hoping there would be something for me. My friends and I would even write each other letters and send them across town. With e-mail and evites being so popular nowadays, it makes me sad to see less snail mail. I refuse to go to an evite graduation party, wedding, or baby shower. I prefer a formal invite.
I want my son to grow up and get to experience the excitement I had when checking the mailbox, so snail mail it is! We had a lot of fun making these and sending them to his friends.
You don’t need a lot to do these wacky watermelons, just the following:
- Large paper plates
- Pink, green, and black paint
- Foam paint brushes
- Clear packaging tape/clear double sided tape
- Green and pink paper (for the stationery)
- Black pen (My favorite pens)
- Old Newspapers
- You’ll want to lie a piece of newspaper down before you start. Place your paper plate upside down.
- Start painting the center of your plate pink and the outside edges green, let dry. After your plate is dry, dip your pinky finger into your black paint, and dab it onto the pink center of your plate to create seeds, let dry.
- While your paint is drying, you can cut out large green paper squares and a pink paper squares about a 1/2″ smaller than the green.
- Use your double sided tape (or glue would work) and tape your pink piece of paper onto your green piece of paper. Write you letter or thank you note on your watermelon stationary.
- Now you can fold your watermelon plate in half, fold your letter, and place it inside. Use packing tape to seal your plate shut.
- Choose a side and address your watermelon! Add a stamp and off to the post office it should go.
We sent our wacky melons in the mail the other day and can’t wait to put a smile on my friends face! A fun and easy kids craft, perfect for summer.
Easy Wacky Melon Pen Pal Craft
A fun and easy kids craft, perfect for summer.
Try some of our other crafts like:
This awesome Patriotic Table Decor for the 4th Of July
This is so cute! How does it hold up when sending? Since we are quarantined, my boys made similar projects but they did a rainbow, rocket ship and smiley face (one side was happy the other was sad – it’s super cute!). They want to send them to their cousins across the country but I’m nervous they won’t hold up well. Thanks!