This upcycled k-cup turtle craft is super cute, fun and easy for kids!
My kids love crafts. Wait. Who am I kidding? I love crafts too! I am always trying to find ways to recycle our used stuff and what better way to upcycle some old k-cups than by turning them into turtles?! This craft is perfect for kids and I had a lot of fun with my girls making it, too.
I’m a busy mom. I’m addicted to coffee and I like to craft. I also adore my Keurig and use it daily. I often use a reuseable k-cup filter but sometimes I break down and buy k-cups because, hey, they are convenient, plus I get to try some new coffee flavors. When I use actual k-cups, I have a habit of saving them which drives my OCD husband absolutely bonkers. I try to be sneaky about it, but I guess the tower of old k-cups behind the Keurig isn’t hidden very well. I usually get talked too and once he even tried to throw them away. I sulked and grabbed them out of his hands. Ok, by then they might have actually been on top of the garbage, but that’s ok, nothing gross, nothing a little soap and water couldn’t fix! So I grabbed them out, rinsed and dried them and added them to my craft hoard, errrr, drawer. What can I say? When the urge to craft strikes, I like to be prepared!
So, let’s get on with it, shall we?
- clean, used k-cups
- green spray paint (you could also use green acrylic paint. I just love how fast the green spray paint drys!)
- googly eyes
- glue stick or low temp hot glue gun
- green construction paper
- Begin by spraying your k-cups with green spray paint in a well ventilated area. I work out in our garage and I also like to spray multiples all at once so that I have them for future crafts. It will save you a ton of time. Let them dry about 1 hour and then check to see if they need to be touched up. If yes, spray again and let dry another hour.
- After the k-cups are painted and fully dry, place the k-cup top down (as show in the photos) and trace a circle and then free hand the turtles feet and head. It doesn’t have to be perfect. The kids won’t complain, I promise.
- Cut the turtle’s body out and use the glue stick or hot glue gun to attach it’ body to the bottom of the k-cup (as shown).
- Next use the glue stick or hot glue gun to give your turtle 2 eyes. Let dry.
You’ll want to make: