If you need a cute and festive treat for your Valentine’s party, these Slice and Bake Valentine Cookies will be perfect.
I am just starting to get things organized for Valentine’s Day. I know, I know! You think I’d be on top of this since we’ve been talking about it for a month. I love making a big deal out of even the smallest holidays. I bought some adorable Valentine’s off Etsy, the spray paint on my son’s homemade football Valentine’s box is drying, and I’m getting some sweet treats prepared ahead of time.
Valentine’s Day is a day filled with love and affection, so that’s what came to mind when creating these Slice and Bake Valentine Cookies centered with X’s and O’s. I wanted to keep them semi simple so they wouldn’t be overloaded with sugar but still sweet, so I did a slice and bake sugar cookie that are soft and chewy.
How to make Slice and Bake Valentine Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- red and pink gel food coloring
- In a large mixing bowl, beat your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in your vanilla, almond extract, and egg.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together flour and baking powder.
- Mix your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients.
- Separate your dough in half, then separate one of your halves in half.
- Mix a small amount of pink/red food coloring into your smaller dough chunks, and form all three into separate balls.
- Roll your red and pink dough out onto a lightly floured surface, use an “x” cookie cutter on one color, and use an “o” on the other color.
- Cut out your x’s and o’s and stack each set together.
- Now roll your uncolored dough into long skinny snakes and place them around your stacked x’s and o’s dough until completely covered.
- Gently roll your dough log until the dough snakes start sticking together.
- Wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Carefully slice the dough starting at one end and working to the other.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and place your cookies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes and let cool.
So if you’re a procrastinator like me, make these the night before your party, just slice and bake!
You might also like our other Valentine treats:
Leave a Reply