If you have a mermaid lover in your life, you need to make this mermaid craft together!
My daughter loves crafting. She was over the moon when I bought her a low temp hot glue gun! This has given her tons of confidence! She’s constantly cutting out felt shapes, hot gluing them together, stuffing them with my poly-fil and making pillows! When I grabbed a bag of wood doll pins and made bats and penguins, I knew I had to come up with something fun for her to play with.
We grabbed a handful of supplies for our mermaid craft and began!
- wood doll pins
- acrylic paint & paint brush
- felt in various colors
- hot glue
- Paint your doll pins as shown with you color choice of acrylic paint. I know the bra/top of the mermaid is teeny tiny. I use a small brush (18/0 Round Brush) for this task. Having a small brush will make your life so much easier. And yes, I painted that since it was a little too detailed for my 7 year old, although she did try.
Please note, you’ll want to make sure the top of the mermaid is NOT inline with the gap in the doll pin. I ended up repainting doll pins since I could see the gap and the top.
- Cut a small piece of felt to use as a waist band for the mermaid. Attach with hot glue.
- Cut a 3″ x 2″ piece of felt. Round the edges so you have a half circle shape. Cut a squiggly shape, as shown for the hair. Attach the hair to the top of the doll pin with hot glue. Press firmly to adhere.
- Cut 2 pieces of felt, 1″ x 2″ that match the body paint for the fins. Trim the felt to create a fin shape. Pinch the flat edge and affix it to the bottom of the mermaid with hot glue. It helps if you try to do this with the mermaid standing up. Adjust the fins after attached so the mermaid stands.
My daughter absolutely loves playing with these mermaids. She even tucks them into her backpack and pockets and takes them places. I can assure you this mermaid craft will be enjoyed for years to come!
Did you buy a pack of 30 wood doll pins? If so, make our other fun doll pin crafts!
[…] Mermaid Doll Pin Figures are great for kids to play with anywhere because they are small. […]