Seasonal asparagus, smoked sausage and mushrooms are an easy go-to meal for busy week nights.
Being a mom I am always on the go. Whether I’m running the kids to and from school or after school activities I never seem to have enough time. I try to plan a head for meals as much as I can but sometimes I just forget or simply don’t have time to make what I had planned. This sausage & mushroom asparagus is one of those meals that doesn’t take a lot of time, has a ton of fresh flavors and is so easy to throw together. You can serve it over or pasta or rice and even the pickiest eaters will enjoy it.
I grew up on a asparagus farm. I hated every second it. While my friends were out playing after school I’d get off the bus, change my clothes and go help in the fields. No, really. Somedays I’d try and hide but my dad always found me and we would both head out and pick asparagus for a few hours before dinner time. I couldn’t stand asparagus as a kid, but I was around it all. the. time. Now that I’m an adult I love it. I can’t get enough of it and now I wish we still had those asparagus fields. I’d be out there picking the asparagus ’til my hearts content.
My parents have since retired from farming but the kids still enjoy going over to grandpa and grandma’s and we still get a few pounds of fresh asparagus every year. My oldest loves asparagus, too. My girls will eat it, begrudgingly, but my son is like me and loves it with every meal. Can you blame him? There is honestly nothing better than farm fresh veggies!
Sausage and Mushroom Asparagus Recipe
- 16 oz smoked sausage
- 1 lb fresh asparagus cut into small pieces
- 1 C. canned or fresh mushrooms
- 3 green onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- cooked rice OR cooked pasta
- Heat the olive oil, green onions and garlic in a large sauce pan. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the fresh asparagus and mushrooms.
- Continue to saute for 10-15 minutes, allowing the asparagus to become tender.
- Add in the smoked sausage and heat through until the sausage is browned.
- Serve over cooked rice OR cooked pasta.
You will also want to try our: