Chocolate chip pumpkin bars are perfect for dessert for any pumpkin lovers!
With summer dwindling and school starting next week I've slowly been transitioning into fall mode. In our neck of the woods, we sometimes get what's called an Indian summer and I've got my fingers crossed waiting for one. Don't get me wrong, we've had a great summer but some days were much warmer than others and some days it was almost a low of 55! Fall seems to be closing in and fast but I think I'm ready.
When I think of fall, I think of pumpkins, bright colored leaves, sweaters, leggings and boots. Cooler days means slow cooker meals, chewy pumpkin cookies, pumpkin dip, pumpkin seeds and more! As soon as the weather gets cooler I crave pumpkin everything. When the kids were little I made a batch of healthier pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I found the recipe online and was hooked. I'd never really made anything other than pumpkin pie when requested, because I honestly didn't care for it.
The older I get, the more I love pumpkin. I'm still not pumpkin pie's number one fan but I've recently started dabbling in more savory pumpkin dishes and I have to admit, they are pretty good! Last week, I wanted something chocolatey so I whipped up these yummy chocolate chip pumpkin bars. They are so good and perfect with a tall glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee on your way out the door. My kids loved them and I will definitely be making them again soon!
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars
- ½ cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ C. butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 egg
- ¾ C. sugar
- ½ tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 C. flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ C. chocolate chips + extra to sprinkle on top of the bars prior to baking
- Combine the canned pumpkin, vanilla extract, butter, egg and sugar.
- Fold the flour, pumpkin pie spice and baking soda into the batter and add in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and evenly spread out. Sprinkle the extra chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick around 25 minutes, if it comes out clean the bars are cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Cut into 9 bars.
We have lots of other amazing pumpkin recipes to try:
- Chewy Pumpkin Cookies - Chewy, delicious and perfect for fall!
- Pumpkin Dip - Perfect for a crowd or just to snack on!
- Pumpkin Pie Seeds - Pumpkin seeds resonate fall and they're healthy for you, so enjoy!
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies - As delicious to eat as they are to look at. Yum!