Our Chicken Mexican Stew is a hearty slow cooker meal that’s easy to make and is bursting with flavor!
I absolutely love when I plan ahead and put something into my slow cooker. It truly is the fix it and forget it way of cooking because what usually happens is I smell something. It takes me a while and maybe even a few hours of continuing to “smells something” before I remember that I even threw dinner in the slow cooker that morning! When I come home from picking up kids and my husband comes home from work, we both say the same thing, “Oh, that smells good!”
This Slow Cooker Chicken Mexican Stew is no different! It smells amazing and tastes really good. It’s one of those “dump dinners” where you just dump everything into the crock, stir it up, turn it on and you’re done. The chicken gets nice and tender and falls apart, the broth bursts with flavor and spice!
You can certainly modify this recipe to make it hotter or milder depending on your family’s taste.
To make milder: Replace diced tomatoes and green chilies with regular (plain) diced tomatoes. Reduce the amount of chili powder to 1/2 teaspoon.
To make spicier: Use hot taco seasoning. Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon additional chili powder. Add sliced and seeded jalapeno peppers to your slow cooker. Garnish with additional diced jalapeno peppers before serving.
If you try this Mexican Stew and love it, you’ll want to try our
- 2 cups chicken, uncooked and cubed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies (do not drain)
- 1 can (15 oz) fiesta corn (do not drain)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup pearl onions, frozen
- 1 envelope taco seasoning (or use your own recipe)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- sour cream
- avocado, cubed
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Add chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, and onions to slow cooker.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning and chili powder in slow cooker.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and heat on Low 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Serve with sour cream, avocado cubes and chopped fresh cilantro.