If you love grilled cheese, this Mozzarella Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich will leave you asking for more.
I’m a cheese snob. I used to enjoy the basic American cheese singles until my husband asked me one day why they weren’t in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. They were on a display on an end cap aisle. I eventually moved onto block cheese, which I still use and love for comfort food recipes like my Homemade Broccoli Cheese Casserole and Cheesy Zucchini Rice. But oh my goodness. I fell in love. Now I actually stop there at least once a week for fresh Wisconsin 2 year aged cheddar and fresh mozzarella just to name a few favorites.
There are so many recipe possibilities with cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches are right at the top of my favorites list. I’m pretty sure I mentioned I love to food in my Best Ever BBQ Ribs Recipe and homemade grilled cheese sandwich is no exception. Give me some fresh, delicious mozzarella cheese, pesto, crusty white bread, homemade pizza sauce to dip it in and I am one happy camper.
Our weather has been pretty blah lately and when it’s dreary outside I tend to eat more comfort foods. What is more comforting than grilled cheese? It’s a quick 10 minute meal that I can easily pair with soup and even the kids enjoy it. You can make it in only minutes and for lunch or dinner.
- crusty white bread (or any bread of your choice)
- butter (the real stuff)
- pesto (I used store bought)
- fresh mozzarella, thickly sliced
- 5-6 oz can of tomato sauce
- 2-3 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2-3 tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, minced garlic and Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Generously butter the outsides of 2 pieces of crusty bread.
- Place one slice of buttered bread, butter side down in a small or medium saucepan. Spread pesto on the bread and add a few slices of fresh mozzarella cheese. Top with the second slice of buttered bread, butter side up.
- Turn the stove onto medium heat and allow the bottom bread to brown (about 8-10 minutes). Flip and allow the other side to brown.
- Remove from heat and cut into half. Serve with the homemade pizza sauce on the side.
You will also want to make our Chicken Patty Swiss Melt and our Homemade Broccoli Cheese Casserole!