4 minute instant pot mac and cheese with bacon will change your life!
Raise your hand if you have an instant pot? Okay, raise it if you want one! I didn’t think I wanted one and then I got one. And now I’m having so much fun with it. My goal is to see how quickly I can make things. And I kid-you-not, I made instant pot mac and cheese in 4 minutes! It’s quite amazing!
I adapted this recipe for my instant pot from an oven recipe my friend Sara gave me a few years ago. I absolutely love making her recipe in the oven, but on hot summer days, I don’t love turning my oven on. That’s where I use my instant pot! My kids also love this recipe. My 7 year old told me I should make this “every day, mom.”
Now, 4 minutes is the time it takes this instant pot mac and cheese to cook, but you have to realize with an instant pot, the pot must come to pressure before the 4 minutes start. I don’t want to give you false hopes, but honestly, it’s like an express homemade mac and cheese recipe. I love to toss it in and then walk away. Before I know it, It’s ready to stir and eat. And I don’t have to worry about pasta sticking to the sides of the pan or the pot boiling over since it’s all sealed and enclosed. It really is a life changer.
I’ve used water and chicken brother interchangeably in this recipe several times and both taste great. I prefer the broth but don’t always have it in my pantry so I use water. I also mix up the cheese. Sometimes I toss in whatever is in my fridge. For this recipe I told my husband we were having “7 cheese mac and cheese” because I had cheddar and some Italian blend that had 6 cheeses listed on the package! Sounds so fancy!
- 4 cups (32 oz) chicken broth (or use water if you're out of broth)
- 1 lb (16oz) box of pasta (we like to use Cavatini but any will work)
- 1 can (12oz) evaporated milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 cups shredded cheese (use any shredded cheese you like, cheddar, colby jack, jalapeno for a kick! Mix it up!)
- salt & pepper
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Place pasta into the instant pot.
- Add chicken broth (or water) into instant pot and stir.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and seal it shut. Make sure the pressure valve is closed.
- Set the instant pot to manual for 4 minutes.
- Once the instant pot is done, quick release pressure and open the lid. Stir the pasta. Do not drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients: evaporated milk, butter and cheese until all cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper
- Spoon into plates or bowls and top with bacon.