These easy 4th of July Desserts will be a big hit!
I love holiday desserts and the 4th of July is no exception. The stores always have special displays and merchandise that’s red, white and blue and I love browsing the new sprinkles, holiday decorations and apparel for America’s birthday. It seems like I’m always making a “berry dessert” (see Patriotic Fruit Pizzas) so this time, I switched it up a bit.
To make these 4th of July desserts, Grab your favorite cupcake recipe and whip up a batch of 20-24 cupcakes. Okay, okay, mine were a box. I’m not even sure what brand, because it’s whatever was on sale and stocked in my pantry. Then grab your favorite frosting recipe, or perhaps 2 tubs of white frosting like I did. Hey, this is real life, and it’s summer, and in Michigan that doesn’t always last long so I need to take shortcuts sometimes! In fact, I made the cupcakes 2 nights before I needed them, tossed them in an airtight container in the fridge and frosted them when I needed them.
Which basically means you need to assemble them. Here’s how: Remove the paper wrappers and discard. Use a bread knife to cut each cupcake in half. Add red food color gel to your tub of frosting and mix well. Add blue food color gel to your other tub of frosting and mix well. Toss your frosting into separate pastry bags and cut the tip with scissors. Pipe red and blue frosting onto the cupcake bottom and top with the remaining cupcake. Follow with the opposite color you piped in the middle. Add sprinkles.
That’s it! You’re done. And everyone will LOVE these 4th of July Desserts! Maybe you’ll a little crazy and add these to the tops!
- 24 of your favorite cupcakes, baked and cooled
- 2 tubs of white frosting, or your favorite homemade recipe
- red, white & blue sprinkles
- red gel food coloring (we used Wilton No Taste Red)
- blue gel food coloring (we used Wilton Royal Blue)
- Remove paper wrappers from your cupcakes. Use a bread knife to cut each cupcake in half.
- Mix one tub of frosting with red color gels. Mix the other tub of frosting with blue color gels.
- Spread alternating colors on the center and top of the cakes.
- Add sprinkles to the top & serve.
Try these quick and easy, 2 ingredient Patriotic Cookie Dough Truffles.
And serve these Patriotic Fruit Pizzas!