If you're looking for a creative way to paint a pumpkin, our Cactus Painted Pumpkin is the perfect idea.
Walking around town in the Fall I love looking at people's pumpkins on their front porch, its amazing how creative people are and what you can turn a pumpkin into. Some people carve their pumpkins while others use paint to show off their savvy pumpkin decorating skills. My kids love to carve and their Dad loves helping them.
I also love purchasing fake pumpkins during the off-season at various thrift stores. During the fall, fake pumpkins can be pricey at stores like Joann's, Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Even with a coupon! Purchasing them in the off-season and for only a few bucks is a great way to stock up and save money!
While I do love stocking up on fake pumpkins for various Halloween projects, my kids love heading to the pumpkin patch and picking out real ones! I love painting pumpkins and have so much fun, you can make them into anything you want with a little paint and a paint brush. Ever since Kari made her awesome Troll pumpkins, she inspired me to make some pretty cool pumpkins like my Cactus Painted Pumpkin.
How to make a Cactus Painted Pumpkin:
- large terra cotta pot
- large tall pumpkin
- bright green craft paint
- white pipe cleaners
- faux pink flowers
- hot glue/hot glue gun
- foam paint brush
- clear spray paint
- Wash and dry off your pumpkin and lay out a piece of scrap newspaper.
- Use a foam paint brush to paint your pumpkin green, let dry, paint a second coat and let dry.
- Spray your pumpkin with a clear coat gloss spray paint and let dry.
- Cut your white pipe cleaners into ¾" pieces and use your hot glue gun to carefully glue the pipe cleaner pieces all over your green pumpkin rotating directions.
- Remove the pink flowers from the stem and carefully glue them around the top of the pumpkin.
- Place your pumpkin into your terra cotta pot and display on your front porch.
What's your favorite way to carve or paint a pumpkin? Let us know in the comment section below.
You might also enjoy our other pumpkin ideas:
- Troll Pumpkins to make for Halloween - Troll Pumpkins will make you want to sing and dance this Halloween!
- Teal Pumpkin Project Painted Pumpkin - This is the Teal Pumpkin Project Painted Pumpkin that you can use year after year!
- Easy Pumpkin Vase - If you’re like me and love decorating for different seasons and holidays, you’ll want to make this adorable Pumpkin Vase for your house and front porch or give it as a gift.